Friday, February 5, 2010

Rolling with the Punches....

The hits just keep on coming as far as Sam is concerned. At his 1 yr check up he weighed in at 24 lb even, 30 1/2 inches long. That's 68% for weight and 69% for height and head.

But he was 25lb 3 oz the week before - he was clothed but his clothes don't weigh that much. His left ear was now infected so we held off on vaccines til we can get him well. Dr was a little concerned about weight loss, but he's obviously still a good size and he wasn't eating much when he was so congested (and throwing up from coughing didn't help).

His blood test - which he sat through and didn't even flinch - revealed he was slightly anemic, so he is now on an iron supplement.

And I tried the TINIEST bit of peanut butter on bread last night and he has broken out with a rash on his upper arms, upper legs and stomach. And his cough is way worse today, but I think that's in part due to the allergic reaction to the peanut butter.

I really didn't think I would have more problems with my 33 weeker than my 27 weeker. Gavin had his share of illness that first year but it was plain old cough/cold/ear infection/rotavirus with a case of RSV thrown in. Sam's are legitimate conditions. Shame on me for making assumptions I guess.

It's getting a little old finding "one more thing" all the time. But then I remind myself how much worse a lot of people have it. I think I could have a little better attitude if I could just get some sleep! But judging by how fast this year has flown by, in a blink of an eye these boys will be out of the house and I will have a lifetime of uninterrupted sleep. So I will remember to appreciate the middle of the night snuggle opportunities and try to be an adequate employee/mom/friend on 4 hours of sleep!

1 comment:

abby said...

I'm so sorry about the peanut allergy and everything else that Sam is going through. Sometimes it's not gestational age that matters but something else--immune related, I suppose.

Anyway, I hope Sam feels better. Try not to sweat the weight loss---he's still a very nice size and feeling sick/being congested and eating are incompatible. And hopefully once you get at the bottom of the allergy stuff, you will clear up those little ears of his too (ear infections can be related to reflux and allergies and not just to colds).

I highly recommend Scott Sicherer's book on understanding food allergies in children (forget the exact title but it's available on Amazon and I can look it up for you if you have a hard time locating it). It's really quite thorough.