Wednesday, August 18, 2010

WMW: Morning Rush and WHAT Time to Myself?

Time for another Working Mommy Wednesday question, courtesy of Julia.

#1. What is your most stressful time of day and why? Well there are two. Getting out the door in the morning is definitely stressful. Remembering to grab/pack whatever Gavin needs for that particular day at school or camp. Grabbing all my stuff. Getting kids teeth brushed, finding the shoes Gavin wants to wear, and now that Sam is home with the nanny getting him to play with her instead of hassling me while I get ready. No matter how organized I try to be the night before, I am always out the door at least ten minutes later than I intended. It makes me crazy.

Then there is coming home. As of today there is no more kid pick up. When I worked downtown it was bad because I never knew if I would hit traffic or an accident and pick the kids up later than I intended (day cares were open til 6 but I somehow always felt like a bad mom if I didn't have them picked up by 5:30). So it's better, but now that the nanny is at our house with Sam and the other little girl, there is stress b/c she gets picked up a little later than I usually get home so my house is not my own for a little bit. Plus the nanny tries to pick up, but entertaining the kids is the first priority and I never come home to the same house I left. There have been some times when she's had the chance and I come home to a sparkling clean house. Those days are the best! I love our arrangement, but it does cause its own unique stress.


#2. If you could have one day all to yourself, how would you spend it? In my fantasy world I would lay by the pool with a girlfriend and look at gossip mags all day and drink wine.

In reality, even if I take the day off, the nanny and kids are at my house, so it doesn't look like my days will be my own for quite some time. BUT my husband can vouch for the fact that I guard my time alone like precious jewels and have the time all planned out. I might go to the grocery store or Target and get my shopping done without kids, in peace. I would go to the Limited and actually have time to look around and try stuff on. I would pick up something indulgent for lunch and bring it home. I would turn on the TV and watch guilty pleasure reality shows, and even if they are on DVR I wouldn't skip the commercials. I would sit on the couch and fold laundry while watching the show and get up and clean during commercial breaks.

Pathetic huh? But such a slice of heaven when I get that time. These days I get excited if I get a couple hours like this when Sam is napping and Gav is playing at the neighbors, imagine a whole day!

No comments: