Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Need for Speed

Gavin woke up before 5 this morning and I told him to try to lay down and sleep for another hour. I peeked at him ten minutes later and his eyes were wide open. And I mean that super excited wide, wide eyed open. I said "you're not going back to sleep are you?". Gavin said "I just can't stop thinking of going skiing!"

Sam also spoke his first real sentence yesterday, I was telling him that we were going to be gone a few days and he said "Why can't I go to Colo-ro-ro?". Totally broke my heart, but he's destined for ski's next winter for sure!

The drive out yesterday was super easy and uneventful. We made it here in 9 1/2 hours and only had to stop twice and Gavin was a great traveller. He only started getting antsy the last couple hours, and didn't sleep at all.

When we got to the hotel we went to the pool for a little while. I picked a hotel based on ratings and cost - wanted a 4+ rating at the lowest cost, and we ended up in a GORGEOUS suburb of Denver. It seems fairly newish amd there were some beautiful neighborhoods and condo complexes that we saw from the interstate.

After getting showered up, we ordered room service from the Italian restaurant across the street and had a FEAST of a picnic on our bed. At one point I almost teared up - I haven't had much Gavin 1:1 time for - well, almost two years and it used to always be the two of us all weekend when Chad worked for Hubbell. He made the comment "I get Mommy for 4 days". As hard as it is leaving my Sammy, I'm so glad we are spending this alone time together. And it's making me think about perhaps each parent doing a 1:1 mini vaca with a kid each year, and then switch kids the next year.

Gavin fell asleep a little after 8 Denver time and was up before 5. No doubt he'll crash early tonight. We're going to start packing up and will hit the road to the mountain shortly. We're supposed to be getting quite a bit of snow, so should make some great skiing.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

If you were heading out there for now, you should have stayed here :) Hope you have a safe trip back.