Friday, July 1, 2011

A Family Affair

I am so excited to make running a family affair. It's something I started doing a little over a year ago, and while I am not yet speedy, I'm comfortable enough to start running some 5k's. This Monday Gavin and I are both registered for the Uniquely Urbandale runs - I'm doing the 5k and Gavin is running the kids mile. Then Sam can do the "Tot Trot" after that!

It's so great to get out and do something active as a family that we can all participate in.

Regional meet in MN is coming up the following weekend. Last night coach told Gavin that he was on a "no pop, no candy" diet. Sam's going to have to follow it too, for moral support, even though he doesn't know it! How the heck am I going to bribe them to behave now??

Since they didn't actually run last night, just worked on the long jump, Gavin wanted to come home and run on the treadmill. He's only done in a couple times, but last night he really seemed to get the hang of it. I think it will be good for him, he needs to build his endurance up, and not sprint everywhere. Our treadmill at home seems to be calibrated a little fast - I can't run at nearly the pace on it as I do outside or at the treadmill at the gym. So it seemed to take him forever to do a mile - he got up to about 5 mph at times, but needed to take some walk breaks for side stitches. At any rate, the goal right now is to build the time those legs can run without taking a break, rather than how fast he can run a mile, so I think this will be great if he can do it consistently. I'm headed to Target to get him a little iPod as a motivator!

1 comment:

Mommy Minded said...

I started running and just after a few weeks my daughter started going with me. About a moth later the little guys decided to try to keep up. Now I am going to have to start taking speed walks too so they can run and we can all keep together! lol