Friday, March 20, 2009

It's Reflux

Now I wish I would have taken Sam in earlier. The Dr said he has classic reflux symptoms (including spitting milk out his nose which he has done a few times!). I never connected the dots because he wasn't screaming in pain right after eating, which is what one of the nurses in the NICU told me was THE symptom when I asked about it in the NICU when he was spitting up so much. Apparently within the range of "normal" pooping schedules, he can go as infrequently as once a week, as long as it is still soft. He thinks what I perceived as discomfort trying to go may actually be related to the reflux. So we shall see! I also asked if he had a higher risk for malrotation since Gavin had, but his risk is still small. We wouldn't start scanning his GI tract unless the spitting gets worse or the reflux medication does not work. Big Sammy continues to gain about an ounce a day - 8 lbs 1 oz and a whopping 20 1/2 inches long!

No comments: