Saturday, June 26, 2010

Just Call Me "That Mom"

Monday night t-ball game. Since it was a make up game, we were playing on a green space which meant no fence to keep Sam from running into the middle of the game. Let's just say that with the fence, it's hard enough to keep him happy.

And I had no extra hands as Chad was working late.

First inning I pretty well kept him occupied with eating his Happy Meal. Second inning, the toy kept him occupied. But by the third inning he was having none of it. "Send me in Mom! I can play!"

Until he discovered a puddle - we've had a TON of rain here - pretty much every day for two weeks. We were going home after the game anyway, it was a million degrees out - so I didn't think twice about letting him stomp in it - at least it gave me a chance to watch Gavin a bit.

Slowly, a circle of other children formed around the puddle, and the other moms took their focus off the game and onto their children just begging to play in the puddle. And spent the third inning making sure they didn't join in the fun.

And I was "that mom" that let my kid play in the puddle, making all the other kids want to play in the puddle.

What's the big deal anyway? What's a little water (and ok, a little dirt) going to do? I wasn't letting him play in the sewer! I found it funny, and sad. All these little ones watching sadly as Sam very joyfully played. And I didn't mind one bit being "that mom".

No comments: