Thursday, July 15, 2010

NICU series on Discovery Health - airs tonight

http://health.discovery.com/tv/nicu/

Tonight Discovery Health channel is airing the first in a 10 episode series about life in the NICU. I'm not sure what they will show - I imagine they will be showing stories of the smaller, sicker babies, and not the ones like Sam - while he certainly was a NICU experience, I'm not sure it would make for good TV!

I think my mom is the only one that really understands the ups and downs of the NICU, as she and Grandma Betsy were able to visit on a regular basis, and my mom was the one I called when I was a basket case - and happened to call me the day that Gavin got sick and put back on the vent which was one of the scarier days we had there. Anyway, if you want to catch a glimpse at what we went through, this is probably a good way to understand.

Will I watch? I'm not sure. It doesn't take much to make me tear up watching stories that involve preemies or sick kids on fictional shows. I'm not sure I could handle watching real families and real babies on this show.

I don't ever want to forget what we went through with Gavin. I'm just not sure I am sadistic enough to make myself relive it. I just really hope they give everyone the full picture. Gavin is probably the poster child for preemie success story - he's healthy, he's "normal", and we have no long term issues as far as we can tell yet. This is not always the case. There are so many children that started out with the exact same circumstances that for whatever reason do have lasting health or development issues. We are definitely the lucky ones, and I hope that this show portrays the full spectrum of babies and the issues that they face on an ongoing basis due to prematurity.

Perhaps then, people will realize the gravity of the issue and therefore feel the need to fund more research in this area. Realize that not all preemies turn out like the Gosselin kids, who appear to be just fine (parental situation excluded!).

No comments: