Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Drinking Problem update

When we got the elevated levels test back from Sam's diabetes test (Dr says "probably nothing but something to track") we had orders to limit Sam's fluid intake to 40 oz/day.

It started off ok. Some days better than others, but it seems I can keep him under 45 oz for the most part. And then the last couple days he has been amazingly thirsty again. Waking up more at night for drinks.

Just last week we had a night where he only woke once and only drank 4 oz. Some nights he drinks 16 oz. It's crazy. I know it's crazy and not normal, but I don't know what to do. He begs and begs for something to drink.

I don't know that it's a bottle or milk habit at this point either. He drinks water out of a sippy cup most of the day. And can . not . get . enough.

He has also been eating non stop lately. Which could very well be a growth spurt (but does that explain the drinking?). The Dr said we get worried when he starts acting lethargic or not himself.

My boy is anything BUT lethargic. So maybe the Dr isn't worried yet.

Wish I could say the same for myself.

3 comments:

Joy said...

wow. I wish we could mix our kids together a bit and balance them out.
I don't know if it's helpful or not (sometimes I like "I know a guy.." stories, sometimes I hate them) but I do have a friend (a few years older than me) who drinks an almost disturbing amount of liquid every day. When we first met (almost 15 years ago) I actually asked her if she'd ever been tested for diabetes. She said yes.. that she'd drank that much since she was a kid and had many tests done, but everything was normal. She just liked to drink a lot.

it's kind of funny because when you go to her house she's constantly asking if you need a drink. I've learned to just say yes and ask for a glass of water because otherwise she'll drive you crazy. You just don't look "right" to her unless you have a drink of some sort in your hand.

Obviously, if something is going on, we need to know, but apparently there are just people who want/need to drink a lot.
I'll be thinking of you guys!

Unknown said...

Trish - I KNOW! If only we could just get Sam and Robbie to balance each other out :) I know some people just naturally drink more than others, I wouldn't be concerned except for the fact the his Dr said he's drinking SO much that he's worried the amount is too much for his kidneys to handle. We're just trying to not offer fluids until he's begging for it, and wait (im)patiently for his re-test for the diabetes at the end of January.

Marissa said...

thinking of you while you not.so.patiently wait for the re-test. Hang in there...and glad I found this blog too :)