Monday, March 14, 2011

Accomplishments: Sam

Wow.....I was so proud of both my boys this weekend!

I decided it was time to part ways with Sam's bottle. It was to the point where he would drink his milk at bed time, not be asleep yet and ask for more. I wouldn't give it to him, because he would be peeing all night if I did. So he was falling asleep without it anyway, he cried for about a week and had gotten to the point where if he would ask for more and I said no, he would eventually just fall asleep on his own.

The nanny and I started talking to him about it Thursday and she took them with her Friday when she left. I knew if I just threw them in my trash bin, I would be digging them out in desperation! She showed Sam that she was taking them. In full bribery mode, I came home with treats to celebrate his big boy status as well as a brand new dinosaur sippy cup.

He whined about his bottles a little when I first came home. Then he drank some juice from his new cup. Then came the real test....would he accept milk in it? He did! Then came bed time. I braced myself. I was prepared for 5 hours of crying. I let him play a little longer than usual so he would be good and worn out by the time he laid down.

He asked for his milk. I handed him his cup. Braced myself again. No crying. Took a few sips, handed it back. Asked for it again - repeated this a few times. And he fell asleep. Just like that. He's been fine all weekend. Asked for it a few times, but no big deal.

I guess it was more my crutch than his after all.

At any rate, I am so proud of how well he handled it! I think he's smart enough to realize they were really gone and I couldn't have done anything about it anyway.

I've decided that was a long story and that Gavin deserves his own post. Check back to see Gavin's big accomplishment!

1 comment:

NovelTeaMommy said...

Yay Sam!! I love baby mode, but find myself wishing my kiddos were just a little older so that we can have different battles.<--I am under no illusion that it actually gets easier...just different :D