Monday, April 18, 2011

Jamie Oliver Foundation

I found my new charity! In case you didn't know already, I am passionate about food. Healthy, whole, organic, good for you food. I am horrified at what the USDA guidelines think is ok to feed our children.

Jamie Oliver had me at hello when his show "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" launched last year. I am apalled at what this country considers acceptable meals to feed our children. My biggest fear when I think about sending my Sam back to a day care center is not the quality of care, or germs, but the food he will be served. Canned, processed foods, day after day.

One of the lunch options at the elementary school last week was "MaxSnax Cheese Sticks". Since when are fried cheese sticks acceptable entree's???

Last week's Food Revolution episode demonstrated some of the icky stuff that the USDA approves to be included in hamburger meat. If your child eats school lunch, you really need to watch this show. It's making me want to go hang out in our school kitchen and see just what is going on there. At the last company I worked for I cut budgets and made processes more efficient for a living. Surely I can find a way to improve school meals?

While I am noodling on how I might be able to make an impact in my community, check out Jamie's web site. He's got some really great stuff going on, and if you were in the market for a new charity to donate to, I would highly recommend this one.

1 comment:

Brother said...

Gotta love Jamie Oliver!