Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Get the Defibrillator!

So last week (Friday) night I was alone with the kids, and Gavin wanted to play in the back yard. Sam was napping, so I needed to stay inside, so I gave him "the talk" about how important it is to stay in the backyard and if he wanted to go to Rushi's house, that was fine but he needed to tell me first.

So every minute and a half I am looking out the window checking on him. We're at the end of a cul-de-sac and there is a fence between us and the street BUT STILL. So just as I was getting comfortable with him being out there alone, I look out and he is GONE. I look over at Rushi's backyard and don't see him. I look around the backyard and yell his name a couple times, and nothing. I see Rushi's Dad in his backyard and try to keep myself composed while asking if Gavin was over, even though I didn't think he had time to get over there and in the house in the time between looking out the window at him. Not there.

So by now I am in complete heart failure and in panic mode. I take off running across our backyards yelling for him, when I hear him BAWLING at the front of the house. He wanted to sit on the front porch and wait for his Dad to come home. I don't know why he didn't speak up when I was first calling for him. I don't know why I didn't look out front, I guess I assumed if he was going anywhere, it would be to his friend's house.

Rushi's poor Dad had followed me to make sure we found him.

So that took a few years off my life. Gavin was fine, just upset because he heard me calling for him and when I panicked, he panicked. And I am officially THAT MOM that loses her kid in her own front yard.

No comments: